Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pigmy Rattlesnake Bit Miss Izzy - UPDATE

UPDATE;

Miss Izzy is home, but still has some swelling and obvious pain, even with meds.  She was very happy to come home, and is now sleeping at my feet under my desk.  Thank you for your prayers, she's one of the luckiest dogs!



I am sitting in the waiting room of an emergency vet, while they treat Miss Izzy for what appears to be a pit viper bite from a Pygmy rattlesnake.  Her face has continued to swell these past 2 hours or so, and she's in some pain. 

Our options were to ride it out and see, or start an anti-venom treatment.  We had a baseline set of tests run, and so far it has not affected her internal organs.  The only option to treat pain and swelling is anti-venom.  We started that about 30 minutes ago.  She'll spend the night in the hospital on IV.  If all goes well, she'll come home tomorrow.  If not, it's another dose of the anti-venom and another night in the hospital.

After waiting about an hour, and getting the results from the tests, it was definitely NOT a dry bite.  If we did not treat, she would risk dying flesh around the bite area, and organ shut down. 

I've watched too much TV.  It doesn't happen in a 60 minute program.  It can take days, and we are not willing to risk her health or wellbeing by waiting and seeing how her little body may or may not react to the venom.  The vet also explained that it is not likely that a dog of her size would do that well long term without the anti-venom. 

There is also a risk of infection, as snakes mouths are not the cleanest around.  She's getting a broad spectrum antibiotic in her IV.

So, please say a prayer for Miss Izzy, and me.  I'm worried sick..

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure sorry for Ms. Izzy. Prayers sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really and truly am. I love my dog to the ends of the earth so I am going to think about you all day and tomorrow too. Keep us informed. You are doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I hope she isn't in too much pain. I am saying a prayer now & will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You better believe that I was praying for little Izzy the moment we realized what had happened. As I said to the Moose, little dogs don't have a good chance against rattle snake bites. Especially at her age.

    Thinking about ya both,
    Spud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your help Wed. I know we left you in a huge rush!

      Delete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.